Thursday, November 13, 2008

What is going on?!

Yet another post without pictures, but I am just disturbed by everything that is happening in California!

The misinformation the media is putting out against the LDS church is awful and fueling some of the protesters and other events against the church. Some LDS leaders have had threats on their lives, and they claim WE are not tolerant?! The LDS church is totally being singled out. We, like all the other citizens of California, exercised our right to vote!!! The opponents to Prop 8 are exercising their right to protest, but in some cases they have crossed the line. Using threats and spreading lies about The Churches involvement (they are saying the Church broke the law by contributing money or lobbying, "The Church" itself didn't donate any money, they asked the members to donate time or money out of their own free will and choice, some did and some didn't), and vandalizing church property.

Prop 8 was a proposition that had already passed, but was overturned by judges misusing their authority (judges are to interpret the law, not make new laws) and had passed again. Although it was close, it was clearly the voice of the majority of California. It passed the vote of the people twice.

I remember the same proposition being passed in Nevada. There was nothing like this going on! No protests, threats, or hateful redirect being spewed out against the Church. What's the deal?!

I actually have gay and lesbian friends (some are LDS) and family whom I love dearly and deeply respect. I think we have more in common than not. But I feel it a moral issue to define marriage as "one man and one woman." I totally recognize that may be offensive to some, but there is a place in this country to disagree and to vote your conscience and still be nice and love each other. It is possible to just agree that you don't agree on an issue, however personal it may be.

All of the inaccuracies about the Church and our doctrines are nothing new, but very offensive. And people believe it hook, line and sinker! I can't believe it. Please ASK a Mormon if you have questions about our stance and involvement in Prop 8, not turn to the media for answers! They used an ex-Mormon as an expert in Mormonism for one newspaper article. Please!! Couldn't they find a current Mormon to be an expert? But then that wouldn't give them enough controversial fuel, I guess.

Here is a link detailing some of the abuse and protests the church has been receiving:http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/081110hate.html

And here is a link to the Church's official statements regarding the issue:
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/

Boy, I've had a lot to say about politics lately. I'll now step off my soap box.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

AMEN! What more can I say? You expressed my thoughts exactly. Can I just copy and paste and then post to my blog?

Sheree Flick Photography said...

I know what you mean. All this stuff being said just makes me sick to my stomach!

Jer + Lu said...

I agree. It's getting pretty scary out there. Talk about sore losers taking it to the extreme!

Cardalls said...

I heard someone compare it to the persecution the Saints faced in Missouri and Nauvoo...maybe this is our test?? It's horrible.

beautifuldey said...

Thanks for posting this. It really has been crazy around here. We only live about 5 miles from the temple. The protesting stopped traffic for hours. This issue has made me very sad about the state of our country. More sad even than if it hadn't passed. Homosexuality I can kind of understand. All of the hate that we've been feeling around here is another issue. We should be able to respect each other even when we don't agree.

Jodi said...

Lisa, it's been so long since I've had the time to read your wonderful blog. I love your perspective on life. I have been feeling especially bad for the saints in California. They are taking the brunt of this. I too say Amen to everything you wrote about this. say hi to your cute family for us.

Jason & Claire said...

I am so with you. I can not believe some of the things I've seen in the media. You said it al perfectly.