Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Call for Recipes

I went to the doctor today for my thyroid issues, long story short I guess I'm addicted to sugar and I have to change that before my thyroid will get better. So, he put me on a diet and for two weeks all I can have is: chicken, fish, turkey, nuts and veggies. No potatoes, corn, dairy, bread, etc. I feel like no dairy?! No bread?! What am I going to eat? After 2 weeks I can add in fruits, by the 8th week I can have wheat again, but for now I feel at a loss for ideas on what to make for myself. I know a few of you have had to cut things from your diets, so I'm hoping for a few delish ideas within my restrictions.
I have to admit, the timing on all this is terrible with the holidays around the corner. No Christmas fudge for me, I guess. I'm tempted to wait until the holidays are over, but the desire to feel better is stronger, so I guess I'm starting soon. Darn it.

12 comments:

Cardalls said...

So I need to hear more about your thyroid issues. I think I may be having some myself. Email me.

Carol said...

Uuuuhhhhh...didn't know our thyroids could mess us up that bad! Sheesh! So it was sugar that did you in hu? I'm toast!!!

What a drag for you, so sorry. And uh, I got nothing exciting for you. I am the queen of pasta and sugar. Sounds like you might be loosing some weight, eh?

Jill & Seth said...

oh, lisa good luck with that!! :)
you know all i know how to make is ramen so, i'm no help.

beautifuldey said...

That's too bad Lisa, and you're right about the timing being bad! Anyway, I love BBQ'd salmon, but I usually marinate it in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, garlic, and sesame oil. Not sure if you can have all of those. Serve it up with some brocoli and you're good to go.

Sorry if it's not much help. I guess there's always baked chicken and salad (blah!). I'll keep my eyes open.

g said...

I had to eat like that when I was nursing Mara because of her many allergies. Can you have eggs? I ate lots of eggs scrambled with sauteed vegetables for breakfast. For your pasta cravings, have spaghetti squash with meatballs and marinara sauce. Oh, and roasted vegetables are always good for a side--take some onions, zucchini, peppers, cauliflower or whatever, and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, spread them on a baking sheet and cook until soft. Also, soups/stews--chicken and vegetable, butternut squash, beef stew, chili (can you have beans?), etc. Good luck! And I seriously have a billion bean recipes, so if you want any just email :)

Amanda Howell said...

Lisa: just go to allrecipes.com and they have oodles of yummy recipes for any dietary needs. Here is the link.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Living/Main.aspx
I love this site for recipes.
Good luck. Try not to lose too much weight you might blow away.
Love
Amanda

Linde said...

I must say that I didn't know either. That really stinks, especially around the holidays.

g said...

How are you doing, Lisa?

GARNERDAZE said...

thank you so much for coming to North Star Ward to see us. We miss you guys so much, and it was so natural for your little family to be with us! I hope you get feeling much better. You will be in our prayers.

Jason & Claire said...

Yay! I saw your comment on another blog. Jason and I were wondering how you guys were doing the other day. I am so glad that you guys have a blog!

Ours is \\claison.blogspot.com\\

Jason & Claire said...

PS- Sorry, I don't have any recipes for you. I was just excited to see your blog.

Cardalls said...

We miss your blog! Hope you get to feeling better soon so we can see more of your cute family. We loved seeing you a few weeks ago!